Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Girlfriends: Season Finale

Joan is getting married! Finally. It was fitting that after seven seasons and countless boyfriends, Etta James' At Last closed out the show.

When I heard that her ex Brock would step in just and she and Aaron hit a rough patch in their relationship, I was worried that Joan would make a colossal mistake. But luckily, Brock came and disappeared quickly. Too little, too late ashy lips!

Aaron is the perfect man for Joan. There's no question about it. He loves her for who she is. At first, I couldn't understand why he didn't just accept her proposal since he knew he was planning to ask her anyway, but that setup led to Joan getting the proposal of her dreams. Aaron wanted to secure her dad's approval first, and then drop on one knee in front of all her family (Hey Melanie and Derwin!) and friends (including her Japanese dry cleaners!). [But who else thought Toni would be coming out of that door, too?]

What kind of man does that? And where can I find my own?

I'm convinced more than ever that last night was the series finale. I know, I know. We won't really know until next Thursday. But it was a sweet finish: Monica and William reconciled; Lynn has finally figured out what she wants to do - singing - and even has a paying gig; Maya is having another baby and got her (second) dream house; Darnell bought his garage back; and Joan is getting married. At last.

I wouldn't be surprised if Girlfriends didn't make it back next season. But it's OK. I've made peace with it. We had 7 wonderful years together and while it would be nice to have these beautiful and dynamic Black women on TV every week, the show can't go on forever. As they say, all good things must come to an end. And I think Mara Brock Akil gave the show and it's fans a fantastic send-off last night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home